Blaze ruins Christmas breakfast

Six people escape Christmas morning fire in Nanaimo.

Christmas breakfast turned disastrous for a Nanaimo couple when their house caught fire.

The blaze broke out at 880 Dufferin St. shortly after 10 a.m. Sunday just as the couple and their visitors were sitting down to breakfast, said Ennis Mond, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer.

Mond said the fire started in Christmas wrapping paper, which the family had put behind the house for recycling.

The homeowner, who decided to cook sausages and bacon on a barbecue behind the home, cleaned the barbecue’s preheated grills with a paper towel and cooking oil and then discarded the paper towel in the present wrappings.

“About an hour later a neighbour came running over and said there was smoke coming from the roof,” Mond said, adding the recyclables had caught fire.

Mond said the homeowner did not notice the towel might have been hot enough to start smouldering. He estimated it could have smouldered in the discarded wrapping paper for up to an hour before igniting.

Flames burned into the home’s vinyl siding and up into the roof.

Firefighters contained the blaze to an entertainment room, but heat and smoke caused damage throughout the home.

The owners and their four visitors escaped unharmed.

“They were just sitting down to eat breakfast,” Mond said. “Their food and everything else was still on the table. They all got out and called the fire department.”

The home is insured, but its owners will be displaced until repairs are completed.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Resiliency program set up to help Island tourism through ‘grim’ times

Tourism Vancouver Island CEO says 23-25 per cent of tourism businesses may shut down permanently

Column: Vulnerability to global disasters is our own making

For many, needs of the moment take precedence over concerns about sustainability, notes columnist

House burns in Harewood, three people displaced

Dog unaccounted for after house fire Sunday evening

Man dies in ATV accident south of Nanaimo

Incident happened on backroad Friday night in Nanaimo Lakes area

Vancouver Island Regional Libraries to offer ‘takeout’ style services

VIRL will offer the service on a branch-by-branch basis

George Floyd asphyxiated by sustained pressure: family autopsy

Death sparked a wave of protests across the U.S. and abroad

COVID-19: B.C. commercial landlords can’t evict if they decline rent assistance

Emergency order ‘incentive’ for federal program, Carole James says

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world in ways that would have… Continue reading

B.C. Hockey League prepping for 2020-21

League reviewing different scenarios and start times in compliance with provincial regulations

Duncan’s Queen Margaret’s School pioneers thermal imaging in school reopening

Private school is first in B.C. to use new tech post-COVID-19

Investigators probe death of CN employee at Surrey rail yard

Transportation Safety Board is investigating an ‘occurrence that took place during switching operations’

Trans Mountain starts B.C. leg of pipeline twinning project

Mostly finished in Alberta, Burnaby terminal expanding

Most Read