Discontent City must comply with fire safety regulations.
Following a two-day petition hearing in the Supreme Court of British Columbia on Wednesday, regarding the City of Nanaimo’s request for a statutory injunction to shut down Discontent City, Justice Ronald Skolrood ordered the makeshift camp, located at Port Drive, to obey the fire safety regulations set out by the City of Nanaimo.
“I am going to make that order on an interim basis that the occupants comply,” Skolrood said, adding that compliance is not up for debate.
Skolrood, however, denied DeSouza’s request for an order to obtain names, addresses and next of kin information of all occupants at Discontent City.
During the petition hearing, the city’s legal counsel, Troy DeSouza, highlighted fire safety concerns raised by Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer Alan Millbank.
Last month, the City of Nanaimo issued a press release noting that Nanaimo Fire Rescue crews put out a “small, smouldering fire” inside a tent where one Discontent City resident had been sleeping.
Discontent City must comply with Wednesday’s fire safety order within one week.
DeSouza told the News Bulletin said he was happy that the judge issued a fire safety order. He said the only reason the court didn’t issue the second order was because it wasn’t pratical.
“We accept that, it was just an interim measure,” DeSouza said. “What we are more happy with is that the fire service requirements are there and it is going to be compellable upon all those tent city folks within a week. So, we expect that to be followed.”