Alleged sexual abuse of child at Okanagan school

A North Okanagan mother is in tears after her daughter claims she had been sexually abused at school

A mother is in tears after her six-year-old daughter was allegedly sexually abused at school.

The North Okanagan-Shuswap School District family, the names and location of which are being withheld to protect their identity, has been dealing with the outcome and what she refers to as a lack of change at the school since the incident occurred last fall.

“On Nov. 14, 2017, my daughter woke up and didn’t want to go to school,” the mother said. “It came out that she no longer wanted to go to the bathroom with another (student).”

The concerned mother began to question her daughter further after hearing the troubling words. Her daughter said she had been sexually abused in the washroom by her big buddy — an older student at the school — since school began in September.

She immediately contacted the local RCMP and the school principal to inform them of what had occurred.

Const. Kelly Brett with the RCMP said that they were made aware of the allegations and conducted an investigation.

“Under the Criminal Code of Canada, no child under the age of 12 will be charged with a criminal offence,” Brett said. “The RCMP have concluded our investigation and the appropriate partner agencies have been briefed and are involved with the families. This included the school, the school district and the Ministry of Children and Family Development.”

No further information regarding the investigation will be released.

“I was told that the (student) was to be taken out of school immediately,” the mother said of her talk with the principal. “I was told I would be informed when the (student) would be coming back.”

Two weeks later, the mother went to drop her daughter off at school when a teacher approached her.

“I was told the principal wanted to speak to me. The student was back,” she said.

Upset that the assurances given by the school hadn’t been upheld, the mother said, the abused’s father went to speak with the principal. She said the school phoned the police and put the school on a hold and secure in response to an aggressive male on the property. The father has since been banned from School District 83 property.

“The next two weeks proceeded to have the abuser picked up (after school) 10 feet from my daughter’s exit,” the mother said.

The mother brought her story to the district, Shuswap MLA Greg Kyllo and the Ministry of Education, who in turn brought in Safer Schools in December to implement changes in the school plan, which the mother said haven’t been adhered to.

“While we are unable to respond to the particular details of any student matter, what I can speak to is the process and approach to providing care and support to students in our schools,” said Peter Jory, School District 83 superintendent. “We approach all situations mindful of individual circumstances and best practices for safety of students and staff in the district. The district also reaches out to the Ministry of Education’s provincial experts in the field of Student Safety, Risk Assessment and Trauma Response for additional guidance and support.

“The North Okanagan Shuswap School District is dedicated to ensuring the safety and emotional well-being of all of our students. Planning for student safety, including understanding and addressing sexual behaviour of children under the age of 12, is undertaken by a team of professionals based at our schools and district, and involves professionals in the community with expertise in these complex matters. Safety support plans may be created and adapted as necessary to meet individual needs.”

Earlier this week, the mother was called to meet with the principal, who, she said, admitted that the daughter was briefly put in the same classroom as the abuser. The mother, in tears, said that incident goes against the safety implementations put in place.

“Ever since this incident happened with my daughter, she has been acting out in school,” the mother said. “She has been making frequent trips to the principal’s office because of this.”


@VernonNews
parker.crook@vernonmorningstar.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Nanaimo seeking court order to shut down Discontent City

Injunction filed, hearing could take place as soon as next week

600 litres of gas stolen from Nanaimo golf course

Suspects cut through the fence at the Nanaimo Golf Club last week

Snuneymuxw totems rise over Nanaimo’s Departure Bay

Two poles put up this week which overlook the water and welcome visitors

UPDATE: Suspect charged in alleged robbery spree in Nanaimo

A jogger spotted the suspect and alerted police, who made an arrest Wednesday near Port Place

Nanaimo’s first downtown night market is tonight

More than 75 vendors, roving entertainers, food trucks and music take over downtown streets tonight

VIDEO: Trades jobs the way of the future on Vancouver Island?

Hundreds of people attend Black Press Career Fair in Nanaimo

Beefs & Bouquets, June 21

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail bulletinboard@nanaimobulletin.com

Lawsuit claims Lantzville mayor violated competition agreement after selling accounting practice

Colin and Denise Haime receive notice of civil claim filed in the Supreme Court of B.C.

Free Wi-Fi now available at NRGH

Nanaimo hospital is second on Vancouver Island to get free, public Wi-Fi

Rescued Oregon family simply unprepared for adventure, RCMP say

Agencies now helping the group of four get to their destination in Alaska

Large B.C. tree dies after possible poisoning

Police and District investigate after large chestnut tree’s rapid decline

Canucks release 2018-19 season schedule

Vancouver to face Calgary Flames on Wednesday, Oct. 3, for home opener

VIDEO: Luxury Home and Design Show opens with Italian flare

Event set to run Friday to Sunday at BC Place in Vancouver

Small new charge on BC Hydro bills goes toward new crisis fund

The new fund aims to help customers who find themselves in financial emergencies

Most Read