Stone Soup, a soup kitchen that had been operating on Nicol Street, is now closed. (File photo)

Advocates for now-closed Nanaimo soup kitchen ask for city’s help

Wisteria Community Association’s Stone Soup shut down following eviction of owners this week

Those involved with a now-closed soup kitchen called on Nanaimo city council to do something to help.

Stone Soup had been serving food on Nicol Street to people experiencing homelessness for more than a year until Monday morning when the tent structure it operated out of was dismantled and its owners, Tanya and Doug Hiltz, were evicted.

The Hiltzes, through the Wisteria Community Association, started Stone Soup in the backyard and nearby property of their rented home in March 2018. The operation served about 150 people a night, according to the Hiltzes.

During a committee of the whole meeting on Monday night, Andrew Homzy, a member of Wisteria Community Association, addressed city councillors about the situation.

“Tanya and Doug Hiltz were evicted this morning and they are now homeless,” he told councillors. “While it is a beautiful day in Nanaimo it is a dark day for these two remarkable people.”

Homzy said Stone Soup is in a crisis and will likely go extinct if a solution isn’t found. He called on council to hold a meeting, create a task force and find a solution that would ultimately allow Stone Soup to continue to operate.

“Stone Soup has cost the city nothing, has cost the province nothing. Nanaimo has the resources, ethics, experience and budget to help them resolve this and make Nanaimo a better place. This council has promised to turn the previous dysfunction around and this is a great opportunity to do so through improved community engagement and buy-in from the neighbourhood,” Homzy said, without going into further detail about what a solution would look like.

The Hiltzes were not present during the meeting.

RELATED: Stone Soup folk tale making real-life difference in Nanaimo

RELATED: Nanaimo meal program will keep serving up soup after setback

RELATED: Advocates rally in support of Stone Soup in Nanaimo

Asked by council whether Stone Soup would consider partnering with other organizations such as the 7-10 Club or St. Paul’s Anglican Church, Homzy said the Hiltzes preferred to operate the kitchen from their own location.

“People feel comfortable, they feel not threatened. It’s, shall we say, in their pathway to other services,” Homzy said.

Nanaimo Mayor Leonard Krog said he and council are grateful for the services that Stone Soup provided but noted the operation did not comply with city bylaws, which ultimately led to the eviction.

“It’s a very unfortunate set of circumstances … but any such facility or any program or process would have to meet all city bylaw requirements,” he said.

Speaking to the News Bulletin after his presentation, Homzy said he’d like to see a city-sanctioned task force that would bring stakeholders such as Island Health, the province and others together to find a solution for Stone Soup.

“I think [Stone Soup and the 7-10 Club] are two different organizations. Maybe 7-10 doesn’t want Stone Soup to saddle up to them. I don’t know. But I think a task force or a committee or some sort of organization that has the sanction of the city could help facilitate that,” he said.

In February, the city received a complaint about illegal structure being built on the Nicol Street property and investigated the matter, according to a city staff report.

Bylaw inspectors determined the structure was constructed without a building permit and did not meet municipal and provincial building codes. The report noted that despite the “good intent behind the operation” of the soup kitchen, there was a public safety risk. The city ordered the structure to be removed in March of this year. Stone Soup continued to operate.

The city also issued a notice to the landlord, who, according to the report, issued an eviction notice. The B.C. Residential Tenancy Branch eventually ordered the tenants to vacate the property by June 30.







nicholas.pescod@nanaimobulletin.com 
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Instagram

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Protesters in Nanaimo preach peace in Iran

Rally sees gathering at Diana Krall Plaza in downtown Nanaimo

Hat-trick performance helps Clippers prevail on home ice

Liam Ryan scores three, Steven Agriogianis gets overtime winner

Robbie Burns Day recognized with bagpipes and haggis

Nanaimo celebrates life and works of 18th-century poet

Licensed cannabis store opens in Nanaimo’s north end

Mood Cannabis Company’s Metral Drive location opened Jan. 18

Two women struck by vehicle at Nanaimo intersection

One woman taken to hospital with possible broken bones

Hat-trick performance helps Clippers prevail on home ice

Liam Ryan scores three, Steven Agriogianis gets overtime winner

‘Presumptive case’ of coronavirus in Canada confirmed by Ontario doctors

Man in his 50s felt ill on his return to Canada from Wuhan, China

VIDEO: Drone footage shows extent of damage in Highway 4 rockslide

Tofino, Ucluelet still cut off from rest of the island, as crews work to repair roadway

People knowingly take fentanyl so make policy changes to reduce harm: B.C. study

Dr. Jane Buxton, an epidemiologist at the centre, says drug users need more resources,

‘My heart is going to bleed’: Bodies brought back to Canada following Iran plane crash

Remains of Sahar Haghjoo, 37, and her eight-year-old daughter, Elsa Jadidi, were identified last weekend

UBC grad and sister killed in Iran plane crash had bright futures ahead, close friend says

Asadi-Lari siblings Mohammad Hussein and Zeynab were two of 57 Canadians aboard downed Flight PS752

BCLC opens novelty bet on Harry and Meghan moving to the west coast

Meanwhile, real estate agency points to four possible homes for the family

Canada slips in global corruption ranking in aftermath of SNC-Lavalin scandal

The country obtained a score of 77, which places it at the top in the Americas

Wuhan bans cars, Hong Kong closes schools as coronavirus spreads

Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam said her government will raise its response level to emergency, highest one

Most Read