Manslaughter trial set for November 2020 in Red Deer Court of Queen’s Bench. (File photo by Advocate staff)

Manslaughter trial set for November 2020 in Red Deer Court of Queen’s Bench. (File photo by Advocate staff)

Act of extreme violence:’ Alberta man gets life in prison for killing two children

The man, who cannot be named, stabbed the children to death

A man who admitted to assaulting his girlfriend and killing her two daughters in “an act of extreme violence” has been sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 17 years.

The 31-year-old man, who cannot be named to protect the identity of the children, pleaded guilty in Court of Queen’s Bench last month to two counts of second-degree murder, aggravated assault and breach of probation.

One of the children was three and the other was just over six months old when they were stabbed to death and their mother assaulted at an Edmonton apartment in December 2018.

“This case involves the very tragic deaths of two young children,” Justice John Henderson said Friday as he delivered his decision.

Henderson said the man’s duty was to take care of the children, but he instead carried out a “senseless, brutal, vicious and inexplicable act of extreme violence that caused (their) deaths.”

An agreed statement of facts entered into the court record in January said the mother and the boyfriend had been living together for about a month at the time of the attack.

It said they had both struggled with addictions, but that the mother had been sober for a time before the man moved into the home.

The statement said the mother asked the man to watch the girls while she met with a support worker.

GRAPHIC WARNING: The following details may disturb some readers.

“It was during this time, while (the mother) was away, that the accused killed (the girls),” it said. “The accused admits that he stabbed each of the girls multiple times, causing their deaths.”

The man admitted to putting the children in separate black garbage bags, tying them up and putting them in a bedroom closet. He then used various items to cover up the bags, the statement said.

When the mother returned, she saw the man with blood on his face but couldn’t see her daughters.

The statement said she demanded he tell her where they were and punched him. The accused then struck her with a large metal bar.

She told police he had an “evil look in his eyes” and was smiling when he attacked her. She felt that he was trying to kill her, said the statement.

The mother was able to run out of the apartment building, but the accused chased her outside.

“(She) fell to the ground. The accused approached her with the bar. (She) kicked the accused as he came close to her, causing him to drop the bar.”

She then ran off toward a nearby building as the man yelled: “you win, you win.”

Some witnesses found the woman and helped her until an ambulance arrived. When it did, the statement said paramedics had a difficult time getting her into the ambulance because she was worried about her children.

Officers couldn’t find them in the apartment on an initial search. They did a second search later that night and located the bags in the closet. Both girls were declared dead at the scene, said the statement.

The man was arrested by police earlier that night when he was found naked in a nearby garage.

The statement said he was charged by police the next morning. Toxicology results showed he had high levels of methamphetamine in his system.

“The accused admits his level of intoxication from drugs at the time he killed (the girls) did not negate his intention to commit murder,” it noted.

The man automatically gets the life sentence for murder, but the Crown and defence had put forward the joint recommendation on parole eligibility accepted by the judge after a two-day sentencing hearing.

Prosecutors had argued Thursday that the sentence must send a strong message because the case involves the death of two children and the brutal assault of an intimate partner.

Defence lawyer Gary Smith said in his submission there were other factors that should be considered.

“The fact that there was a guilty plea … is a huge one,” he said earlier Friday.

Smith also said there were issues related to his client’s Indigenous background — including alcohol and drug abuse, as well as physical and sexual abuse — that must be considered by the court.

In addition to the life sentences for murder, the man received six years for the aggravated assault and one year for the breach of probation. The sentences are to be served concurrently.

READ MORE: B.C. father charged with child pornography involving daughter

READ MORE: Trump claims election fraud in interview, is unchallenged

Colette Derworiz, The Canadian Press

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Want to support local journalism? Make a donation here.

Alberta

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Regenerative farming that meets genuine needs should take priority over commercial recklessness, says columnist. (Stock photo)
Column: Hubris, greed causing humans to live destructively

Placing the economy as the top priority is licence to destroy natural systems, says columnist

Kyle Patrick McGuire was give a nine-month non-custodial sentencing to be followed by two years of probation on Wednesday, March 3, at the Nanaimo Law Courts. (PQB News file photo)
Bowser man sentenced to house arrest after guilty plea to child pornography offence

Nine-month non-custodial sentence to be followed by two years probation

A concept for development of the Green Thumb property in north Nanaimo. (Barefoot Planning and Design image)
LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Develop land with care and thought

It’s getting to the point that you can’t go a block without seeing more apartments, says letter writer

Nanaimo Community Archives is looking for submissions from homeowners who took on exterior renovation projects, no matter how big or how small, for the first Heritage House Renovations Awards. (News Bulletin file photo)
Nanaimo archives holding first Heritage House Renovation Awards

Judges want photos and descriptions of exterior renovations that enhanced character of Nanaimo homes

Nanaimo Courthouse. (News Bulletin file photo)
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Justice system is failing us

Crime rampant, police overworked, businesses targeted, citizens unsafe, says letter writer

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry updates B.C. on the COVID-19 situation. (B.C. government)
Dr. Bonnie Henry predicts a ‘post-pandemic world’ for B.C. this summer

‘Extending this second dose provides very high real-world protection to more people, sooner’

(Black Press Media files)
Medicine gardens help Victoria’s Indigenous kids in care stay culturally connected

Traditional plants brought to the homes of Indigenous kids amid the COVID-19 pandemic

The Conservation Officers Service is warning aquarium users after invasive and potentially destructive mussels were found in moss balls from a pet store. (BC Conservation Officers Service/Facebook)
Aquarium users in B.C. warned after invasive mussels found at pet store

Conservation officers were told the mussels were found in a moss ball from a Terrace pet store.

A rendering of Front Street transportation improvements set to get underway as soon as next week. (McElhanney image/City of Nanaimo)
Work set to start on Front Street cycle track in downtown Nanaimo

Road work and street reconfiguration project scheduled to start in March, finish in May

The Regional District of Nanaimo’s board is forwarding a motion on illegal dumping to the Association of Vancouver Island and Coastal Communities’ upcoming annual general meeting. (Kane Blake photo)
Regional District of Nanaimo motion seeks to ask province for help to combat illegal dumping

RDN resolution to be forwarded to Association of Vancouver Island and Coastal Communities

Victoria man Brett Andersen is asking for people’s help to secure him one of eight free tickets to the moon. (Screenshot/@brettandersen Instagram)
Victoria man wants your help securing a free ticket to the moon

Japanese billionaire offering eight people a trip to the moon

Hockey hall-of-fame legend Wayne Gretzky, right, watches the casket of his father, Walter Gretzky, as it is carried from the church during a funeral service in Brantford, Ont., Saturday, March 6, 2021. HE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
Walter Gretzky remembered as a man with a ‘heart of gold’ at funeral

The famous hockey father died Thursday at age 82 after battling Parkinson’s disease

Most Read