Son of Montreal mayor facing fraud, obstruction charges

Mayor's son faces fraud, obstruction charges

MONTREAL — The adult son of Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre is facing fraud and obstruction of justice charges stemming from an alleged cyberdependence issue.

Alexandre Coderre faces five charges according to a document filed at the Montreal courthouse, with the crimes alleged to have occurred between January 2015 and February of this year.

The 21-year-old has been charged with two counts of fraud and one each of credit-card fraud, making a false statement to police, and obstruction of justice for allegedly erasing data from his phone late last year.

In a statement to Montreal La Presse, Denis Coderre’s press attache said cyberdependence is at the root of the alleged acts and that the mayor himself alerted police.

Coderre also told the newspaper he doesn’t intend to comment further and will focus on taking care of his son.

The investigation was conducted by Quebec provincial police.

A justice of the peace signed off on the charges in late March and the younger Coderre was charged by summons, with a first hearing date scheduled for this coming Monday.

The Canadian Press

Note to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version said the alleged acts occurred between January 2015 and January 2016

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Nanaimo’s newest fire truck blends latest firefighting technology with nod to history

New $1.56-million aerial truck can reach higher places, but is smaller and more manoeuvrable

Nanaimo NightOwls will play ball under the lights next season

West Coast League baseball club unveils its team name

COVID-19 pandemic estimated to lead to $2-million loss for RDN Transit

Regional District of Nanaimo has been seeing gradual rider increase since mid-May

Shop window art show explores COVID-19, the Black Death and the Renaissance

Rotating ‘Renewal’ exhibition coming to Arbutus Books display window in August

Speed limit on Nanaimo’s Georgia Avenue will be lowered to 30km/h

Lower speed limit, traffic calming part of a package of roadway reallocation measures

Study suggests 8 times more people in B.C. infected with virus than confirmed

The study looked at anonymous blood samples collected for reasons unrelated to COVID-19

Beefs & Bouquets, July 15

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail editor@nanaimobulletin.com

Feds fund safe drug supply pilot program for Cowichan

The opioid overdose crisis continues to be one of the most serious public health crises

‘We’re not busting ghosts’: Northern B.C. paranormal investigators check out bistro

Paranormal North Coast British Columbia recently checked out PF Bistro at City Centre Mall.

Russian hackers seeking to steal COVID-19 vaccine data: intel agencies

It is believed APT29, also known as ‘the Dukes’ or ‘Cozy Bear’ was responsible

Twitter racing to unravel mystery cyberattack

Some of the world’s most prominent names had their Twitter accounts post invitations for an apparent Bitcoin scam

B.C. announces funding to support post-secondary students with disabilities

The province is investing $275,000 in the new BCcampus website

Tough time for tree fruits as some B.C. farm products soar

Province reports record 2019 sales, largely due to cannabis

‘Let’s all do a self-check’: Okanagan mayor reacts to racist vandalism targeting local family

Home of Indo-Canadian family in Summerland was targeted on evening of July 13

Most Read