Sacia Burton announced Friday that she will be running for Nanaimo city council in the local government election in October. Photo submitted

Byelection runner-up will try again for city council seat

Sacia Burton announces she’s running for council in the coming local government election

After a runner-up finish in last summer’s byelection, Sacia Burton wants to go one better.

Burton announced Friday that she will be running for Nanaimo city council in the local government election in October.

In last July’s byelection, Sheryl Armstrong won in a landslide, but Burton’s vote count put her ahead of the other 11 candidates in the race. Ever since and “every day,” she’s been asked if she will run again.

“It’s something that’s definitely been on my mind since then and I think more than anything, it’s something that has been encouraged to me by a lot of people,” she said, adding that she needed to give it a lot of thought, because with “the amount of enthusiasm and momentum behind that already, I wanted to make sure that I could honour that.”

Burton said a lot of the same issues are still facing Nanaimo that came up during the byelection campaign, including governance.

“I think that we want accountable government, we want people that are kind and compassionate, but also smart and savvy leading us,” she said.

Affordable housing was one of the first priorities Burton mentioned Friday, saying that as a young person she’s faced first-hand the challenges of precarious housing situations. She’s also passionate about food security, saying it helps bring an “holistic perspective to making sure that people have a full and healthy life” and adding that it comes with other economic and environmental benefits. She favours transportation master plan goals to boost cycling, walking and public transit and suggested improvements to cycling signage and education would be a good start, along with more sidewalks.

Burton said she’ll release more of her platform as the campaign continues, and said she’s got a lot of learning ahead of her this summer.

She hopes that by announcing her candidacy relatively early, she can help engage people in the process, as she hopes citizens will support her and then start thinking about who else they might wish to support.

Burton said the mindset going into her second campaign is a little bit different because this time she doesn’t know who else would be joining her on council if she’s elected.

“I hope to see a wonderful selection of people that are willing to show up to work and listen to their coworkers, even if they don’t agree with them, and to be diligent and thoughtful and critical,” she said. “So that’s the best I can hope for.”

For more on the October 2018 election, bookmark this page.



editor@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Nanaimo women look for forward steps at march

Nanaimo Women March On held downtown on Saturday

Nanaimo candidate, premier address spec tax at B.C. NDP event

Premier John Horgan and Sheila Malcolmson say speculation and vacancy tax addresses homelessness

RDN board to vote on spending $150,000 for mapping software

ESRI Canada successful RFP proponent, RDN to vote as part of 2019 budget

Nanaimo’s École Hammond Bay school unveils new gym expansion

Larger gym can accommodate home games and assemblies

VIDEO: Students in MAGA hats mock Native American at Indigenous Peoples March

Diocese in Kentucky says it is investigating the matter, caught on video by onlookers

CONSUMER REPORT: What to buy each month in 2019 to save money

Resolve to buy all of the things you want and need, but pay less money for them

UPDATE: B.C. woman and boy, 6, found safe, RCMP confirm

Roseanne Supernault says both she and her six-year-old nephew are fine and she has contacted police

Anxiety in Alaska as endless aftershocks rattle residents

Seismologists expect the temblors to continue for months, although the frequency has lessened

PHOTOS: Women’s Marches take to the streets across B.C. and beyond

Women and allies marched worldwide protesting violence against women, calling for equality

Beefs & Bouquets, Jan. 17

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail bulletinboard@nanaimobulletin.com

Women’s March returns across the U.S. amid shutdown and controversy

The original march in 2017, the day after President Donald Trump’s inauguration, drew hundreds of thousands of people

Federal Liberals announce former B.C. MLA as new candidate in byelection

Richard Lee will face off against federal NDP leader Jagmeet Singh

No winning ticket in $10 million Lotto Max jackpot

No win in Friday night’s draw means the next Lotto Max draw will be approximately $17 million

Most Read