If you enjoy all things James Bond or are simply a fan of getting dressed up, enjoying a delicious dinner, then dancing the night away, you’ll want to mark June 1 on your calendar.
The Oceanside Rotary Club of Nanaimo welcomes you to its 19th annual fundraiser and gala, which will once again have a Bond theme with numerous references to 007 as the night rolls along.
“It’s one of the very few events where, with the decor and the class in the room, you can get into your prettiest party dress, do up your hair, or pull on that tuxedo and feel right at home,” says Oceanside Rotary member Greg Bullock.
Here’s some reasons why you’ll want to make it to this year’s Rotary gala fundraiser:
- Disco Bond time The theme this year is That ‘70s Bond, with Wunderbread cranking out the disco-inspired tunes and homage paid to such 007 classics from the era as Diamonds Are Forever, Live and Let Die, The Man With the Golden Gun, The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker.
- Fantastic food Chef Lauren Cartmel, who worked at Gordon Ramsay’s restaurant in London, as well as the Polo Lounge Beverly Hills, is creating a fine dining meal that will be sure to leave you smiling.
- Fabulous fundraiser The charities of choice this year are Nanaimo Community Hospice and the Cops for Cancer Tour de Rock, with all funds raised to be spent locally. Past events have brought in between $35,000 and $50,000 for youth-related charities.
- Bid on some great prizes Not only will various silent auction items be up for bids, eight larger items will be auctioned live by former Nanaimo radio DJ Ian Thompson, with host Norm Smith helping out. If you’d like to donate an auction item, contact Norm at 250-756-1245.
- Like cold martinis? If your tastes are so inclined, watch your beverage poured through an icy, lit-up Bond gun-shaped luge. Not only does it yield a very cold martini, it’s great entertainment!
- Get the gang together Make it a team-building event for your company or office, or a group social outing by booking a table of eight. You’ll receive a discounted rate on tickets for your entire party.
Tickets, $150 each or $1,000 for a table of eight, are expected to sell quickly. Purchase them online through eventbrite.ca, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling Bullock at 250-755-9654, or Brad Woods at 250-618-6810. You can also follow Oceanside Rotary of Nanaimo on Facebook.