Nanaimo graphic designer Patrick Belanger won last year's Street Banner Design Contest

City of Nanaimo seeks banner submissions from artists

City of Nanaimo hosting an information session of the Street Banner Design Contest Thursday (Dec. 15).

Artists interested in creating a banner that will adorn Nanaimo’s city streets are invited to submit their idea for the Street Banner Design Contest.

The contest is open to visual artists who currently live in British Columbia.

“Street banners grace many streetlight poles during the spring and summer seasons creating a bright and colourful atmosphere,” said Chris Barfoot, culture and heritage coordinator for the City of Nanaimo, in a press release. “The program aids in the promotion of the cultural arts in our city and in 2017 will capture Nanaimo’s role in Canada’s 150th celebration.”

The banners designs are for the spring 2017 and summer 2018 program, and will be on display for up to two years.

The design must adhere to the proposed themes, which are Nanaimo’s role in celebrating Canada’s 150th: Looking Back, capturing Nanaimo in 1967; Exploring Our Country, a snapshot of Canada; or Celebrating Canada’s 150th, what it means to be a Canadian in Nanaimo today.

Artists may use up to four colours in addition to black and white.

A full list of guidelines is available at www.nanaimo.ca, under the business menu by clicking on bid opportunities.

Submissions must be received by Jan. 27 at 3 p.m. by e-mailing purchasinginfo@nanaimo.ca or mailing the information to the City of Nanaimo’s purchasing department at 2020 Labieux Rd., Nanaimo, B.C., V9T 6J9.

The winner will receive a $2,000 honorarium, and be chosen by a selection committee formed by the City of Nanaimo.

The city is also hosting an information meeting about the Street Banner Design Contest on Thursday (Dec. 15) from 4-5 p.m. in the boardroom of the Service and Resource Centre, located at 411 Dunsmuir St.

People will have a chance to view past banner designs and ask questions about the contest.

People can ask questions about the contest by e-mailing cultureandheritage@nanaimo.ca.

To read an article about last year’s winner, Patrick Belanger, please go to www.nanaimobulletin.com/entertainment/382157681.html.

Just Posted

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Snowbirds’ militarism shouldn’t be celebrated

The public has accepted this military demonstration team as benign entertainment, says letter writer

Hundreds of Kin club members meeting in Nanaimo this week

Service club holding national convention Aug. 21-24

Stretch of Departure Bay Road to be closed until month’s end for road work

Slope stabilization taking place between Newton Street and Little John Way

Jazz saxophonist touring the West Coast with one of his heroes

Weeds to play the Lighthouse Bistro with New York pianist David Hazeltine on Aug. 20

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Cassidy can’t support airport development

Environmental assessment needed on land overtop of aquifer, says letter writer

VIDEO: Canadian zoos’ captive breeding programs help preserve endangered species

Programs considered last-ditch effort to prevent local extinctions of turtles, butterflies and more

B.C. log export rules killing us, northwest harvester says

NorthPac Forestry says Skeena Sawmills has plenty of timber

Vancouver man arrested after pregnant woman’s SUV stolen, then crashed

Police are recommending charges against a 22-year-old Vancouver man

Environment groups warned saying climate change is real could be seen as partisan

Talk of climate change could be viewed as advocating against Maxime Bernier, the leader of the People’s Party of Canada

Search crews find 4-year-old boy who went missing near Mackenzie

George went missing early Saturday afternoon

15-year-old boy drowns after midnight jump into Okanagan Lake

The RCMP and BC Coroners Service are investigating the drowning.

Beefs & Bouquets, Aug. 15

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail bulletinboard@nanaimobulletin.com

Most Read