With all the fun and excitement of the holiday season, the Canadian Association of Fire Chiefs want to remind Canadians to take extra precautions this time of year.
The association kicked off its 12 Days of Holiday Fire Safety campaign providing tips for fire and carbon monoxide safety.
“It’s important to take precautions with the things we enjoy most about the festive season such as candles, holiday lights and cooking because they increase the risk of home fires,” said Carol Heller, a home safety specialist with Kidde Canada and partner with the association. “The drop in temperature is also a contributor to the increased incidence of carbon monoxide exposure.”
The campaign is a compilation of what the CAFC notes, based on its insights, are the things homeowners need to be extra vigilant about this time of year.
According to the CAFC, it’s the small things that can make a big difference in saving lives.
“Install smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, never tamper with them, change batteries, replace smoke alarms every 10 years and CO alarms every seven years,” said Rob Simonds, association president. “All these messages and others can never be stated too often.”
As well, the association is introducing a limited-edition Christmas Sparky the fire dog ornament.
“We want the Sparky ball to be a symbol of holiday fire and carbon monoxide safety,” said Simonds.
The 12 Days of Holiday Fire Safety provides tips against seasonal risks as well as year-round precautions.
The website, www.safeathome.ca, offers complete descriptions of the 12 Days of Holiday Fire Safety as well as additional fire and carbon monoxide safety tips.
Plus, visitors have the chance to win a Sparky ball and Kidde Canada fire safety products.