Departure Bay Elementary Eco-School students Carly Sigmundson, left, Alex Nelson, Marcus Bertrand and Helena Cowles check out the variety of smartphones and flip phones that have been donated so far for an environmental initiative and fundraiser. (CHRIS BUSH/News Bulletin)

Departure Bay Eco-School students calling for old cellphones

Grade 7 students at Nanaimo school taking part in Recycle My Cell Earth Month Challenge

Departure Bay Elementary Eco-School students are calling on the community, asking for old cellphones to help them in a green competition.

Grade 7 students are in the midst of the Recycle My Cell Earth Month Challenge, with the assistance of Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association, diverting old devices from the landfill. The association is paying postage on the “disused cellphones,” according to Donna Falconer, an eco-school parent, who submitted the application.

The top school in each province and territory will be awarded $500 from the association and all schools will also receive $1 per device, with a maximum combined prize payment of $1,000.

“They can be functioning or not functioning, pagers, doesn’t matter how old they are. All of that kind of stuff, but not iPods and tablets, and we package them all up on April 30 and send them in,” Falconer said.

Departure Bay Grade 7 students are currently fundraising for elementary school graduation, said Falconer, and would like to have extra funds in order to create a legacy garden to complement the one already at the school.

A minimum of 20 phones must be collected, and that number has been met.

“We have a bucket of about 30 cellphones at the moment. We are certainly willing to accept additional cellphones and we have ones that look like they are sort of originals and we have iPhones,” said Falconer. “A few of them are pretty smashed up, or missing batteries, so it doesn’t matter what condition they are in.”

Annette Noble, Departure Bay school principal, is proud of her students and said the cellphone drive is only one of many green projects students are working on.

“Well it fits in well with our other Earth Day activities,” said Noble. “We’re doing the plastic bag grab right now and we’re also going to be selling reusable grocery bags with reusable produce bags inside, so this is just another … initiative.”

Devices will be accepted during school hours until Tuesday, April 30. Chargers, ear bud headphones and batteries are also being accepted, although the school won’t receive money for those accessories, said Falconer.

For more information, e-mail departurebaygradesevens@gmail.com. For more information on the challenge, go to www.recyclemycell.ca.



reporter@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow Karl on Twitter and Instagram

Just Posted

UPDATE: Suspected drunk driver crashes into line-painting truck on the highway in Nanaimo

Crash happened at 1 a.m. Wednesday on the Trans-Canada Highway near Duke Point Highway

Nanaimo astronomers can hear about ultraviolet telescope’s galactic calculations

Canada’s space telescope to look at blue end of light spectrum to unveil mysteries of the universe

Christmas morning burglar sentenced in Nanaimo

Justin Redmond Feusse, 20, sentenced to 240 days in jail for Christmas day break-and-enter

Woman rescued from Nanaimo’s East Wellington bluffs

Evening hike turns into overnight ordeal for Nanaimo woman who lost her way as darkness fell

Chesapeake Shores filming in downtown Nanaimo

Cast and crew close to wrapping up shooting on Season 4 of Hallmark Channel TV series

Bastion Street bridge closed for construction work

Span connecting downtown to Old City Quarter closed to vehicle traffic for six weeks

Sitting and sleeping on downtown sidewalks could net $100 fine in Penticton

The measure, which still requires final approval, would be enforced between May and Sept. 30

Survey finds 15% of Canadian cannabis users with a valid licence drive within two hours of using

Survey also finds middle-aged men are upping their usage following legalization

B.C. man killed in logging accident ‘would have done anything for anyone’

Wife remembers 43-year old Petr Koncek, father of two children

Ottawa spending $24.5M to research on health benefits, risks of pot use

$390,000 will fund two cannabis public awareness

Crackdown on money laundering does not include federal public inquiry: minister

An independent report commissioned concluded $7.4 billion was laundered in B.C. last year

Trudeau’s action plan on climate change brings B.C. politician out of retirement

Terry Lake, a former B.C. health minister, is running for federal office in Kamloops-Thompson-Cariboo

Most Read