Alberni Outpost closes

The Alberni Outpost has shut up shop.

The outdoor and recreation-focused business with branches in Courtenay and Nanaimo is officially closed. The business’ owner Richard Antonchuk distributed a letter to the two stores’ staff on Jan. 23 notifying them of the immediate closure.

Kirk Friederich, the manager of the Courtenay branch, said he is still unsure why the business had to shut its doors.

“I don’t know if it’s foreclosed, if the bank’s taking it over, or if it’s under receivership,” he said.

When reached, Antonchuk said he does not want to comment on the Alberni Outpost’s closure for legal and emotional reasons.

The Courtenay branch (located across the parking lot from the Thrifty’s Foods on Cliff Ave.) was locked and unstaffed on Jan. 24, though the lights were on. The Nanaimo branch was also locked.

The business’ Facebook page and website were unresponsive, and calls to the business’ two branches went to voice mail.

Friederich said there were no signs the business was struggling, making the closure even more of a surprise.

“That’s the shocking part,” he said. “Sales were up 30 per cent over last year. We were doing well, at least that’s what I was told.

Friederich said there were three staff at the Courtenay branch and “about half a dozen” at the Nanaimo branch.

He said Antonchuk compensated staff.

“The owner went out of his way to give us certified cheques for our payment,” he said. “He made sure everyone was paid properly. Two weeks pay and some vacation pay. He stepped up to make sure all the staff were paid.”

Just Posted

Youth council chairman wants to move up to Nanaimo city council

Michael Ribicic declares candidacy in fall’s local government election

Tilray shares show gains in opening trading

Investors buy, sell in rush on stock offered by Nanaimo-based cannabis producer

‘Extremely heavy’ bench stolen from Nanaimo park

Distinctive bench taken from Morden Colliery Historic Provincial Park

B.C. Supreme Court issues fire safety order for Discontent City

Discontent City has one week to comply with fire order

Ex-Nanaimo man convicted of 1999 sex assault at Abbotsford music festival

James Allen Redden, 50, found guilty of three charges

Through your lens: Okanagan wildfires

Check out some of the captivating images and video from social media of the wildfires

Beefs & Bouquets, July 19

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail bulletinboard@nanaimobulletin.com

UPDATED: Cougar shot by police in Nanaimo

Shooting occurred in water at Nanaimo Yacht Club at about 1:30 a.m. Wednesday

NRE will sell its land, plans for a new depot there are ‘over’

Nanaimo Recycling Exchange board decides to sell Kenworth Road property

Canadian government threatens to retaliate if Trump imposes auto tariffs

U.S president had suggested that auto imports pose a national security risk to the U.S.

Wildfire evacuation order forces bride to search for new wedding venue

Fitzpatrick Family Vineyards is under an order due to the Mount Eneas wildfire south of Peachland

Recent online kitten abuse video raises serious social media questions

UBC and UFV profs weigh in on the subject of online sharing, shaming, and our digital landscape

UPDATED: ICBC fights back against claims that it’s ‘ripping off’ B.C. RV drivers

Canadian Taxpayers Federation is urging the provincial government to open up ICBC to competition

Summerland issues State of Local Emergency in response to wildfire

Two homes under evacuation order; evacuation alert remains in place as result of wildfire

Most Read