a former pilot living in the USA and Nanaimo, CANADA,
Will Barber, a pilot for more than 45 years, passed-away at the age of 70 years. He knew the capabilities and the limitations of his planes very well, he was always in control. He became my best friend for the past 5 years, our relationship started due to our mutual interest in computers.
I was able to see in him all the ingredients of a real friend:
– Spiritual – Will knows; In His will is our peace.
– Wisdom – he was always looking for the best in others
– Meekness – he showed power under control
– Honesty – in his life style
– Kindness – in his actions
– Knowledge – of what is relevant
– Integrity – the way he protected himself
On one morning I visited Will Barber for the last time. It was not easy, I was not able to control my emotions. We expressed what good friends do in situations like this: Thanking each other for the good times and friendship, making eye contact, a hug, a handshake… it all came as it was in a dream.
There was even a short moment of reflection regarding one of the most important secrets of life:
There is a destiny that makes us brothers,
No one goes his way alone;
All that we send into the lives of others,
Comes back into our own.
The world lost a very good person. Sharon, his wife of 38 years, lost a fine husband. I will miss him.
– Hermann Harting, Nanaimo