News

Fire at Woodgrove Centre Save-On-Foods extinguished

Nanaimo firefighters responded to a call at the Save-On-Foods at Woodgrove Centre Saturday afternoon, where a deli display case caught fire. - KARL YU/The News Bulletin
Nanaimo firefighters responded to a call at the Save-On-Foods at Woodgrove Centre Saturday afternoon, where a deli display case caught fire.
— image credit: KARL YU/The News Bulletin

Nanaimo firefighters responded to a fire at the Save-On-Foods at Woodgrove Centre Saturday afternoon, after a deli display case caught fire.

The incident occurred at approximately 2:50 p.m., according to Nanaimo Fire Rescue, and employees and customers were evacuated while firefighters attended. People were allowed back into the store by approximately 3:30 p.m.

“It appears there's been an electrical problem in a deli case, so [Save-On-Foods] staff on scene expelled an extinguisher and now we're just waiting for Houle Electric to come to make sure that case is absolutely safe,” said Capt. Ron Daly, of Nanaimo Fire Rescue.

Daly said there was damage to the case and to the product contained within due to the chemical from the extinguisher.

The fire department has to take care of some loose ends and the fire is completely extinguished, said Daly.

“We have to talk with Houle Electric and also because it's a commercial company involved with food, [Vancouver Island Health Authority] is notified, and they have been and they are attending as well,” said Daly.

There were no injuries, Daly said.

Save-On-Foods' management had no comment.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Community Events, September 2016

Add an Event