News

Container ship docks on trial run as Nanaimo Port Authority seeks more business

The Nanaimo Port Authority is seeking to secure regular business from container ship company Westwood Shipping Lines.

The port has been working with contractor DP World Vancouver, which has a subcontract with Westwood, to create a direct connection to the Asia Pacific market. The MV Westwood Pacific berthed at Duke Point terminal last week on a test run, which provided service to Japan and Korea, plus feeder service to Asia.

According to Jeet Manhas, port chairman, the run went smoothly and another one is scheduled for September. Port members, along with counterparts from DP World and Westwood, will also meet at that time. Regular service would be a boon, he said.

“It would be huge, not just for the Nanaimo Port Authority, but the City of Nanaimo in general and for the region itself,” Manhas said. “I can’t put a finger on the number of how many jobs it will create and revenue, not just for the port but also for the [city], people of Nanaimo and tertiary and secondary jobs and so forth – it’s pretty big.”

Quick factNanaimo is an attractive option given there isn’t much capacity left at the Prince Rupert and Vancouver ports, according to Manhas.

David Mailloux, port manager of communications, said Nanaimo allows Westwood more scheduling flexibility.

“It allows them to get in here and get the shipment off to Asia and get back and know they can get in and out as they need to,” Mailloux said. “That’s one real advantage and that’s why they’re testing it ... they have a better read on [Vancouver] and they probably anticipate that things are going to be like that for awhile and they don’t want to lose opportunity.”

The port is in preliminary stages of Duke Point dock expansion and recently received $4.5 million of Asia Pacific Gateway Corridor Initiative Program money from the Canadian government, which is intended to assist with the container operation.

Port members were recently in New Brunswick for a conference and had an audience with Minister of Transport Lisa Raitt, where expansion was discussed. While they only had 10 minutes with Raitt, Manhas was pleased with the results.

“It was very positive and she was very supportive of it and now we just have to do our homework and get something on her desk,” he said.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Red Nose offers Nanaimo drivers safe ride home
 
Speed bump
 
Big changes expected at Greater Victoria board of education
After the vote: Newly elected councillors respond
 
ELECTION 2014: New city council pushes teamwork
 
Hupacasath raises flag
Cowichan ravaged by major flooding event
 
Rolls, Safe Youth Cowichan honoured
 
Tom Jackson making change

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 20 edition online now. Browse the archives.