News

Fire sends one woman to hospital

A major structure fire occurred in Nanaimo’s north end Sunday.

At approximately 6:30 p.m., firefighters were called to a single-storey house fire at at 5277 Catalina Dr. after neighbours reported seeing smoke.

According to Capt. Ennis Mond, fire investigator with Nanaimo Fire Rescue, the fire began in the kitchen and eventually spread upwards through the house.

“It was a fire on top of the stove,” Mond said.

A female occupant was inside the house and is believed to have been asleep at the time of the fire. Fortunately, she awoke in time.

“We believe by the smoke alarm,” Mond said. “She doesn’t have any recollection of it, but neighbours heard it going.”

Mond said that although neighbours were reportedly on hand and ready to come to the woman’s rescue, the woman was able to crawl out through the front door.

The woman was then taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation and released the following day.

According to Mond, the estimated damage to the house is around $250,000. He noted that the homeowner had insurance.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Hunters protest shift favouring non-residents
 
B.C.-only wines to come to some grocery stores
 
Lack of addiction treatment flagged by crime panel
Charges laid in fatal hit-and-run
 
Pride comes to Alberni
 
Local 10-year-old declares the right to a healthy environment
Having fun at Hilton Centre
 
Community comes through for Kiwanis Hilton Centre
 
Deep Bay Marine Station — whale bones sold out

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Dec 18 edition online now. Browse the archives.