News

Construction continues at Wellington school despite teachers’ strike

Striking teachers will not block seismic upgrade work currently taking place at Wellington Secondary School.

Donna Reimer, Nanaimo school district spokeswoman, said an agreement is in place with the Nanaimo District Teachers' Association and construction company Unitech Construction Management. Despite assurances that the union wouldn't picket, Unitech has also obtained an order from the Labour Relations Board restricting picketing at the school.

“We have worked with the contractor and the union to ensure there would be a construction gate open that won't be picketed to allow the construction to proceed,” Reimer said.

Work has been taking place over the past year and last week Unitech brought in a 500-ton crane to begin roof removal work.

“The crane's about $1,000 an hour, so I guess spending $300,000 or $400,000 on this job was somewhat worrying for them, that we might picket it but there never was any intent,” said Mike Ball, Nanaimo teachers' union president.

According to the school district, the crane, which takes about three days to assemble and will be onsite for approximately five weeks, will be used to remove a concrete roof and columns from the school's central core. The structure will then see construction of a new interior and roof. The school district is projecting the seismic upgrade will be complete by January 2016.

The total cost of the Wellington project is $23 million and is paid for by the B.C. Ministry of Education, according to Reimer.

Ball said that Nanaimo teachers won't be picketing on the Wellington site at all and will only picket at select schools – Dover Bay Secondary, Ecole Quarterway Elementary, Rock City Elementary, Nanaimo District Secondary, Ecole Davis Road and Ladysmith Primary and secondary.

The union has also pledged not to disrupt events that occur on school district sites at the upcoming B.C. Summer Games, which take place between Thursday (July 17) and Sunday.

B.C. teachers have been on full-scale strike since June 17.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Grant withheld over society’s name
 
Children in poverty: Breakfast programs help children focus on school
 
Target to close all stores in Canada, including 19 in B.C.
Uchucklesaht to start construction in February
 
ICBC blocking record 25,000 drivers for Port Mann toll evasion
 
Shelter, meal providers see huge demand
Improvements coming to town core
 
Year in Review 2014: June to December
 
Dinner music supplied by three well-known Canadian musicians at Qualicum Beach restaurant

Community Events, January 2015

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Jan 22 edition online now. Browse the archives.