News

Nanaimo family of four displaced by house fire

A family of four has been forced from their home by a fire that broke out in a Nanaimo home late Wednesday.

Firefighters responded shortly after 11 p.m. to a home at 2127 Lang Cres. when one of the residents entered the house and discovered smoke in the residence.

Capt. Ennis Mond, fire prevention officer, said the interior of the home suffered heavy smoke and heat damage.

"Structural damage, there was very little, but it's going to have to be stripped down," Mond said.

Mond, who was in the early stage of his investigation Thursday morning, had not determined what sparked the fire and was just beginning the process of eliminating a list possible causes.

A couple and their two children living in the home have been displaced by the fire, but they have insurance and no one was injured.

Mond also said the family has lodging.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Jersey day raises money for youth sports program
 
City acts on three nuisance properties
 
Booking on comfort in times of need
Flu shot-or-mask rule upheld by arbitrator
 
Port Alberni Boston Pizza re-opening in sight
 
Alberni Remembrance Day services draw hundreds
Passenger rail back on track
 
Driver blames signage for Cow Bay swamping
 
Inquiry slams door in face of First Nations groups

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 23 edition online now. Browse the archives.