News

Three people escape house fire in Harewood

A fire investigator said three people were lucky to escape unharmed from a fire in a two-storey home on Hillcrest Avenue early Tuesday morning.

Flames broke out in the home's ground floor entrance foyer shortly after 3:30 a.m. when a space heater under a coat rack caught combustible materials on fire.

The resulting blaze caused heavy smoke and heat damage to the downstairs suite, which was occupied by one woman who escaped through the patio doors of the house, and burned through the floor of an upstairs apartment occupied by a man and his daughter.

The blaze was discovered by the father when he woke up and smelled smoke in the building.

"He ran over and woke his daughter up and told her to get out," said Capt. Ennis Mond, head of Nanaimo Fire Rescue's fire and loss prevention unit. "He then went downstairs and pounded on the door of the woman who lives downstairs."

Everyone escaped unharmed even though Mond discovered someone had switched off the breaker to the smoke alarms, he said.

"They were lucky get out alive, as far as I'm concerned, without working smoke alarms," Mond said.

By the time firefighters arrived the fire had spread to the outside of the building and into the carport, which is where crews first attacked the blaze.

"The guys did a good job knocking it down and the story of the day is again, make sure you have working smoke alarms," Mond said.

None of the tenants had insurance, but the building owner is insured.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Historic station steps into the future
 
Country duo shifting into top gear
 
Human Rights Tribunal rejects smart meter complaint
Off to school, and back to court for BCTF
 
Decorate for charity: Festival of Trees
 
Monty Mearns to run for Alberni city council
Dateline Cowichan: Parents resist closure of two-room school
 
Station: Grand designs
 
Station: The interview — Gillian Radcliffe

Community Events, September 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Sep 18 edition online now. Browse the archives.