News

RCMP probing fire at The Bay

Business was interrupted at The Bay when a rack of burning merchandise triggered the store's sprinkler system and scrambled firefighters to Woodgrove Centre Thursday.

Firefighters were called out at about 2:30 p.m. after someone had apparently set a rack of clothes on fire near one wall on the south side of the store.

"The store has pretty high ceilings and the flames were high enough to trigger the sprinkler system," said Capt. Ennis Mond, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer.

Mond said store employees pulled the rack away from the wall and snuffed the flames out with two fire extinguishers.

Two female employees injured their hands breaking the glass covering a fire alarm pull station, but Mond said he did not know the extent of their injuries.

No other injuries were reported.

"All appearances are that somebody went in there and lit the rack on fire," Mond said.

The investigation has been turned over to the RCMP.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Distilling diversity displayed during annual fundraiser
 
Voice takes Island singer around the world
 
Council nixes waste transfer station
High risk offender wanted B.C.-wide, say Vancouver Police
 
Victoria terror suspects more ‘disgruntled’ than political: expert
 
Keeping young goblins safe on Halloween
Flu shot-or-mask rule upheld by arbitrator
 
Cyclists tout green crossing over ravine
 
Premier Clark tells Parksville Enbridge pipeline not a B.C. benefit

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 23 edition online now. Browse the archives.