News

Fire damages two Nanaimo homes under renovation

A fire in the attic of a house on Glenayr Drive was one of two that Nanaimo Fire Rescue responded to Tuesday. - CHRIS BUSH/The News Bulletin
A fire in the attic of a house on Glenayr Drive was one of two that Nanaimo Fire Rescue responded to Tuesday.
— image credit: CHRIS BUSH/The News Bulletin

Fire prevention officers were kept busy investigating two separate house fires that broke out in Nanaimo Tuesday.

The first happened at about 12:30 p.m. at a home at 2855 Glenayr Dr. where a fire broke out in the attic space of a single-storey home.

Dave Leigh, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer, said the fire was caused accidentally when a man left a halogen light on which heated combustible materials in the attic.

"He went away, it smoldered all night and when he opened the (attic hatch) in the morning the air got to it and it let go," Leigh said.

No one was living in the house and no one was injured.

The home suffered fire and water damage to the area ignited by the lamp.

A second fire gutted the main floor of a home at 1431 Bush St.

That blaze broke out shortly after 6 p.m. Firefighters arrived to find flames and heavy smoke pouring out of the kitchen windows.

Ennis Mond, also a fire prevention officer, said he thinks the fire started in the kitchen, but had not determined the cause Wednesday morning.

"I'm pretty sure it started in the kitchen, but what started it I don't exactly know yet," Mond said.

The house was undergoing renovations and two people were working in other areas of the home when the fire broke out.Bush Street fire

Mond said the people working in the house heard what sounded like a pop in the kitchen area and discovered the flames when they investigated the noise.

No one was injured and no neighbouring homes were affected.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Coun. Gord Fuller remains in critical condition after heart attack
 
Grant withheld over society’s name
 
Rocky year ahead for B.C. mining
Toy library celebrates a year of sharing
 
ICBC blocking record 25,000 drivers for Port Mann toll evasion
 
Comox Marina users pack chambers
Drone crash at White House hints at worry
 
Market Square fire displaces college
 
Cyclists question safety of bike and transit lane

Community Events, January 2015

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Jan 22 edition online now. Browse the archives.