Nanaimo News Bulletin

Nine people displaced by townhouse fire

Firefighters carry out mop up operations after fire broke out in a block of four townhouses on Pryde Avenue in Nanaimo Monday morning. Nine people were displaced by the blaze and one man was treated in hospital for smoke inhalation. - CHRIS BUSH/The News Bulletin
Firefighters carry out mop up operations after fire broke out in a block of four townhouses on Pryde Avenue in Nanaimo Monday morning. Nine people were displaced by the blaze and one man was treated in hospital for smoke inhalation.
— image credit: CHRIS BUSH/The News Bulletin

One man was sent to hospital and eight other people were left temporarily homeless by a fire in a Nanaimo townhouse complex Monday morning.

Nanaimo Fire Rescue responded with six units when the alarm came shortly after 6 a.m. that a fire had broken out in the Madrona Village townhouse complex at 25 Pryde Ave. in Nanaimo's Quarterway district.

The fire affected a block of four townhouses – units 19-21 – gutted unit 21, heavily damaged unit 22, and caused smoke damage to units 20 and 19.

Karen Lindsay, Nanaimo Emergency Program coordinator, said unit 21 was fully engulfed in flame when firefighters arrived. One man living in that unit was taken to Nanaimo Regional General Hospital for smoke inhalation and was expected to be released later that day.

"Through their rapid response, crews managed to limit damage to two units," Lindsay said.

Firefighters were still dealing with hot spots in the structure shortly before 9 a.m.

Lindsay said one woman living in unit 22, a couple living in unit 20 and a man, woman and three children living in unit 19 all evacuated safely.

"They all got 72 hours temporary lodging and assistance under the community assistance program," Lindsay said.

Ennis Mond, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer, had not determined the cause of the fire by Monday morning, and was still waiting to interviePryde Avenue firew the man taken to hospital. Investigators were also trying to contact two witnesses to the fire.

"We've got to finish those two interviews off," Mond said.

The woman living in unit 22 had insurance. Lindsay said she did not immediately know if the other tenants had coverage.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Check out the variety of Christmas light displays in the Tri-Cities
 
SPOTLIGHT: Baseball players help the homeless
 
Sci-fi comedy musical naughty (in a nice way) stars PoCo actor
Buy local program gets a boost
 
Firefighters help to fill up food bank tomorrow
 
Suspect in Port Moody assault, carjacking identified, facing multiple charges
Cold paws, warm hearts
 
Y walk when you can raise money
 
Initial assessment finds mother unfit to stand trial: defence

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Dec 18 edition online now. Browse the archives.