News

Nanaimo home raided for third time

RCMP plain clothes units were backed up by the Island District Emergency Response team when they searched two homes and arrested a man in Nanaimo Thursday.

The search

RCMP plain clothes units were backed up by the Island District Emergency Response team when they searched two homes in the Departure Bay neighbourhood and arrested a man in Nanaimo Thursday.

The search happened at about 8:30 p.m. at a home in the 2500 block of Departure Bay Road where police had conducted two separate raids in June and November.

“The person is well known to possess firearms and is heavily involved in the drug trade,” said Const. Gary O’Brien, Nanaimo RCMP spokesman.

“We’ve done two previous searches on the home, both positive – the most recent being in November 2012 – when both firearms and dope were taken from the home.”

The 37-year-old suspect who lives at the residence was not home when police arrived, but was soon determined to be at a house next door.

“They knew he was inside,” O’Brien said. “They tried to negotiate him out. Three hours later they brought him out without injury, without further incident. He was taken into custody.”

No one else was in either home at the time. Police were acting on information that the suspect had acquired firearms, O’Brien said.

None were found in the home, but a small amount of cocaine was confiscated. Police have, so far, not recommended any charges and the suspect has been released.

O’Brien said charges could be recommended pending further investigation.

happened at about 8:30 p.m. at a home in the 2500 block of Departure Bay Road where police had conducted two separate raids in June and November.

"The person is well known to possess firearms and is heavily involved in the drug trade," said Const. Gary O'Brien, Nanaimo RCMP spokesman. "We've done two previous searches on the home, both positive – the most recent being in November 2012 – when both firearms and dope were taken from the home."

The 37-year-old suspect who lives at the residence was not home when police arrived, but was soon determined to be at a house next door.

"They knew he was inside," O'Brien said. "They tried to negotiate him out. Three hours later they brought him out without injury, without further incident. He was taken into custody."

No one else was in either home at the time.

Police were acting on information that the suspect had acquired firearms, O'Brien said. None were found in the home, but a small amount of cocaine was confiscated.

Police have, so far, not recommended any charges and the suspect has been released.

O'Brien said charges could be recommended pending further investigation.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Legal aid gets rare boost for family cases
 
Cyclists dominate Nanaimo Commuter Challenge
 
COASTAL LIVING: Chateau Wolff vineyard finds new owners
Grant announces mayoralty intentions
 
Canada, U.S., support Hong Kong protesters
 
Happy Valentine’s Day personified
Talk abounds on the Englishman
 
Getting your zen on at the library
 
Kent back on the campaign trail

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Sep 30 edition online now. Browse the archives.