News

District predicts drop in student enrolment to continue

Desks will continue to empty in Nanaimo school district for the next couple of years.

Phil Turin, secretary-treasurer, provided trustees at Wednesday’s business committee meeting with the latest enrolment projections.

The district lost more than 300 students this year compared with last year and enrolment is expected to decline by 68 students next year and 83 students in 2014-15 before gaining 179 students in 2015-16 and 88 students in 2016-17.

Jamie Brennan, school board chairman, said these numbers come as no surprise – it is what was predicted several years ago: continued decline and then small increases.

“The increase is marginal, it’s not as dramatic as some people expect,” he said. “The in-migration in the area is largely older people without school-age kids.”

Brennan said this prediction is a rough estimate based on current enrolment and the board has commissioned a more detailed enrolment report that should be ready next month.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Red Nose offers Nanaimo drivers safe ride home
 
Speed bump
 
ELECTION 2014: New city council pushes teamwork
Big changes expected at Greater Victoria board of education
 
Looking Back November 19
 
ELECTION 2014: Alberni votes for change
A Green Party in Parksville
 
And the Golden Brush Award finalists are...
 
Split vote leaves sportsplex hanging

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 20 edition online now. Browse the archives.