News

Woman homeless following camper van fire

A woman from Ontario has no place to live following a fire in her camper van Wednesday.

The blaze broke out shortly before 10:30 a.m. at the corner of Terminal Avenue and Wentworth Street.

Ennis Mond, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer, said the woman had just refuelled the 1974 Ford Econoline camper at a Chevron station and was about to pull out onto Terminal Avenue when the van’s engine quit.

“It stalled and sputtered at the stop sign,” Mond said. “Then there was a backfire underneath the cowling. She opened it up and it was on fire.”

Mond said the initial investigation indicated a fuel leak triggered the blaze.

The vehicle had insurance, Mond said, but he was not sure if it was insured for fire.

“The woman just purchased it about two or three weeks ago and had just moved out here from Ontario,” Mond said. “She has no work and lives in the van.”

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Preliminary plans for new Comox Marina Park revealed to residents
 
Gone but not forgotten
 
Putting up their dukes for a cause
Alberni-Pacific Rim riding achieves Sensible BC petition total
 
Staying at home for as long as possible
 
Fate of Temple Street staircase with city hall
Savour Cowichan: Genova proud to be the unofficial ambassador
 
The Week — Oct. 11: Crab Fest adopts Victoria flare
 
The Week — Jan. 10: Extreme weather: protocol

Community Events, September 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Sep 18 edition online now. Browse the archives.