News

Kitchen fire damages Nanaimo house

A pot left cooking unattended on a stove resulted in a kitchen fire just after 6:20 p.m. Sunday on Needham Street in the Snuneymuxw First Nation reserve.

Nanaimo Fire Rescue officials say the fire charred cabinetry in the kitchen, and that the smoke damage was bad enough throughout the home to displace the home owners.

"We're not sure exactly how many family members were affected," said Rick Kwasnecha, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer. "But they're staying with neighbours or friends."

Nobody was reported injured, and emergency social services was offered but refused by the homeowners.

The damaged house was a recent build on the reserve.

Kwasnecha said the majority of fire calls in Nanaimo are the result of kitchen fires that are preventable.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Annual Festival of Trees finds new home at Nanaimo North Town Centre
 
Amrik Virk advised Kwantlen on secret executive bonus
 
Eleventh-hour effort pushes Dakova on to new council’s plate
Big wheels
 
This and That November 26
 
On call along the west coast 24/7
ELECTION 2014: Alberni votes for change
 
Take a holiday home tour in Parksville Qualicum Beach
 
Put on those sports jerseys for free recreational opportunities

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 25 edition online now. Browse the archives.