News

Perplexing power pole fire

A small fire that started at the base of a power pole has piqued the interest of the fire department in Nanaimo.

Firefighters responded shortly after 9 a.m. Thursday to snuff out the blaze that started at the base of a utility pole next to a lacrosse box in the 700 block of Howard Avenue near John Barsby Community School.

Rick Kwasnecha, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer, said the fire only did minor damage to the pole and the lacrosse box.

"With a power pole, it's usually electrical, a transformer or something on the pole, but this one the fire started at the bottom of the pole in a bunch of, what looks like, remnants of hockey sticks from the lacrosse box," Kwasnecha said.

Kwasnecha said there was evidence people had been smoking in the area and the fire might have sparked from a smoldering cigarette.

He noted the time of day for a fire to be intentionally set would have been unusual, especially since the lacrosse box and power pole were in full view of the school where classes were in session.

"It was unusual, that's all," Kwasnecha said.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
Scotiabank Nanaimo North Town Centre robbed
 
On a random note
 
BCTF touts deal in email to members
Murder charge laid in death of Sooke woman
 
Rob Ford devastated by rare-cancer diagnosis
 
Saanich volunteers have fingers crossed for solid salmon season
Hockey: From Russia to Alberni
 
Health Authority resumes flu shot program
 
Fish-counting fence erected on arid Cowichan River

Community Events, September 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Sep 16 edition online now. Browse the archives.