News

Nanaimo firefighters on the hot seat

An abandoned couch turned out to be a hot item in north Nanaimo on the weekend.

Firefighters responded shortly before midnight Friday to the couch, which was burning next to a dumpster on Glen Eagle Crescent.

"Someone had put a couch outside the dumpster and then someone lit the couch on fire," said Rick Kwasnecha, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer.

In spite of a liberal dousing of water and a thorough overhaul of the furniture item, firefighters had to pay it a second visit at about 2 a.m. Saturday after it reignited.

The second snuffing put an end to any possibility of re-ignition.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Refugee living the Canadian dream
 
Community rallies support for Penticton teen
 
ELECTION 2014: Osoyoos mayor admits sign incident factored into decision to retire
High demand for Oliver jail-jobs seminars
 
Eight break-ins reported in Penticton last weekend
 
Judge doesn’t buy robber’s story
Sparwood Arena and Curling Rink receives major upgrade
 
Wilton to recieve Champion for Literacy Award
 
Scotland comes to Sparwood

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 23 edition online now. Browse the archives.