News

Fire bug damages Cinnabar park boardwalk

A boardwalk in a south Nanaimo park was damaged by a firebug on Monday.

Ennis Mond, fire investigator with Nanaimo Fire Rescue, said someone rolled a plastic green bin, used by residents to collect food waste for pickup by city workers, onto the boardwalk in Richard's Marsh Park in Cinnabar Valley and lit it on fire sometime Sunday evening or early Monday.

The fire department was called around 10:30 a.m. Monday when neighbours smelled smoke and crews found the decking and green bin smouldering, he said.

Mond said the fire damaged the decking, a railing and a park sign. The fire department called police, who are following up with neighbours to determine who is missing a green bin, he added.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Virk shuffled to new job after Kwantlen flap
 
NDP blasts lottery corporation spending
 
Lack of addiction treatment flagged by crime panel
Driven to toy-drive
 
Advocate was ‘voice for voiceless’
 
Family of hit-and-run victim makes emotional public appeal w/video
Local 10-year-old declares the right to a healthy environment
 
No firm answers for Jordan River residents
 
2014 Sail Past a success

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Dec 18 edition online now. Browse the archives.