News

Man safely plucked from ocean after boat capsizes

One man is safe after his 11-metre sailboat capsized and quickly sunk 12 kilometres north of Entrance Island just before 1 a.m. Friday.

Nanaimo Marine Rescue dispatched two boats to the area but the man, equipped with a dry suit and hand-held radio, had already been retrieved from the water by a Canadian Coast Guard hovercraft. He was treated at hospital in Vancouver and released.

The boat had sunk by the time rescuers arrived, said Steve Jackson, Nanaimo Marine Rescue Society spokesman.

“He was the only person on board and fortunately he was well prepared,” said Jackson.

What caused the boat to sink is uncertain.

 

 

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Retailers ready for Black Friday bargain hunters
 
Life in the bike lane
 
Police to conduct roadside safety checks
Amrik Virk advised Kwantlen on secret executive bonus
 
Today on the Hill: Stopping violence
 
Surgical waits average five months in B.C.
Bearing witness through a work of art
 
On call along the west coast 24/7
 
PAPA eyes fuel dock

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 27 edition online now. Browse the archives.