News

Fire scorches Haliburton business

A Haliburton Street business owner got an unpleasant surprise when he went to open his doors Wednesday morning.

Someone lit a pile of newspapers on fire in front of the computer store entrance.

The fire scorched the outside of the door, melted the plastic weather stripping and went under the door briefly before burning itself out, said Ennis Mond, fire investigator with Nanaimo Fire Rescue.

Since no one reported it, the fire was only discovered when the owner arrived just before 8:30 a.m.

Nanaimo RCMP are investigating the incident.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Basketball Mariners feeling energized
 
School trustee candidate: Scott Kimler
 
THURSDAY SPOTLIGHT: Life on Lasqueti Island
Greater Victoria cross-country skier medals at B.C. race
 
Rams running back named football MVP
 
Preview: Canucks Young Stars Classic kicks off in Penticton
Two Whalers gain gridiron experience
 
Much support on and off the gridiron
 
Heading to the end zone

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 30 edition online now. Browse the archives.