Fire destroys vehicle in ferry terminal
A Campbell River man lost his vehicle and some work equipment after his van caught fire in the Departure Bay ferry terminal Thursday morning.
The man was on the 8:30 a.m. ferry from Horseshoe Bay. When it was time to unload at Departure Bay, his 1988 Dodge van wouldn't start and was rolled off the ferry. By the time the van had been rolled out of the unloading area and off to one side, it had caught fire.
When crews arrived, the van was fully ablaze, said Rick Kwasnecha, fire investigator with Nanaimo Fire Rescue.
Because he did not have fire insurance, the man lost his vehicle and some equipment he had stored inside for his job in the logging industry, said Kwasnecha.
Fire officials suspect the cause of the fire was a fuel leak in the carburettor.
His father was able to pick him up and take him home to Campbell River, he added.