News

Homeless man hurt in fire

A man living in a car on Nicol Street suffered second-degree burns to his arms and legs after a candle he was using for heat caught a blanket on fire.

Fire crews responded to a call of a man with burns at Swiftsure Taxi on Haliburton Street at 3:30 a.m. Thursday. They discovered he was living in a car covered by a tarp and parked in the backyard of a boarded-up home on Nicol Street.

Ennis Mond, fire investigator for Nanaimo Fire Rescue, said the man was taken to hospital for treatment and then given three nights stay at the Howard Johnson Harbourside Hotel through the city’s Emergency Social Services program.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

City acts on three nuisance properties
 
Astronomy society invites public to safely view solar eclipse
 
Nanaimo council candidate: Fred Pattje
VIDEO: Witnesses describe scene at Parliament Hill; Raw footage of Ottawa shootings
 
Employees of Chances officially off the job
 
Surrey enforcer killed on the weekend
VIDEO: Ottawa hero Kevin Vickers receives standing ovation in House of Commons
 
Community cleanup crews sought for plastics program
 
Flu shot-or-mask rule upheld by arbitrator

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 23 edition online now. Browse the archives.